Alexandria Police Investigate Attempted Abduction on King Street
Alexandria Police are investigating an attempted abduction that occurred on Monday, September 9, at approximately 9:41 p.m., in the 2000 block of King Street. A 23 year-old female reported that a man attempted to abduct her as she was walking home from the King Street Metro station. The suspect approached her from behind, grabbed her, and attempted to pull her over a wall onto the grounds of the Masonic Memorial. The victim fought off the suspect. There were no injuries. The suspect is described as a black male, approximately 5’5” tall. He was wearing a ball cap, a black and white striped shirt and tan shorts. He may be a smoker. The suspect was last seen fleeing on foot southbound towards Duke Street. The Alexandria Police Department would like to remind residents of steps they can take to protect themselves and their family members from this type of crime.
• Always walk in well-lit and well-traveled areas.
• Whenever possible walk with others.
• Don’t walk or jog early in the morning or late at night when streets are deserted.
• Be aware of your surroundings at all times.
• If you think someone is following you, switch directions or cross the street. Don’t be afraid to yell for help.
• If you have headphones on, make sure you can hear noise - like sirens or someone approaching you at a quick pace. Don't become so distracted with listening to your MP3 that you fail to see or hear signals of an oncoming attack.
• Let someone know where you are going and when you expect to return. Carry a charged cell phone.
• Call 911 immediately if you see something suspicious or are involved in a crime.
Remember, if a crime does occur, immediately contact the Police Department. Your actions can help prevent someone else from becoming a victim.
Anyone with information about this incident or who might have been in the area is asked to call Detective Amy Santiago at 703.746.6289. Detectives would like to remind witnesses that they can remain anonymous.
Acting Commander, Public Information Office
Alexandria Police Department
3600 Wheeler Avenue
Alexandria, VA 22304